Quick, easy and deliciously moist banana caramel muffins.
Serves 6. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 200g (or 1 + 1/3 cup or 7oz) self-raising flour (note 1 - read if you are based in the US)
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 3 ripe bananas (330g, 1.5 cups or 12oz) - mashed
- 90g (6tbsps or 3oz) melted unsalted butter
- 120g (2/3 cup or 4oz) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 70g (or 1/3 cup or 2.5oz) caramel sauce
- Heat your oven to 220C or 430F.
- Prepare 6 muffin cases or grease a muffin tray.
- Mix the self-raising flour and salt in a bowl.
- Incorporate the mashed banana, unsalted butter, brown sugar, egg, and milk in another bowl.
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until a smooth thick muffin batter is formed.
- Spoon the batter into the cases or greased muffin tray until they are one-third full and then add a teaspoon-sized dollop of caramel sauce to each one. (note 2)
- Continue to fill the cases until they are two-thirds full and add another teaspoon-sized dollop of caramel sauce to each muffin.
- Spoon the remaining batter into the cases or muffin tray (it should reach the top) and finish with a final dollop of caramel sauce in each.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 220C or 430F.
- Reduce the heat to 180C or 350F and continue to bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Check the muffins are baked by inserting a cocktail stick or cake tester into the middle. If it comes out clean the muffins are done if it comes out with batter the muffins need a little longer.
- Transfer the baked muffins to a cooling rack and enjoy.
- In the US self raising flour contains 1/2 tsp less baking powder per cup than UK self-raising flour. If you are based in the US use plain or all-purpose flour instead and add 2tsp baking powder.
- If the caramel sauce is a little stiff after being stored in the fridge place it in the microwave for 20 seconds to loosen it up and make it easier to spoon into the muffin cases.
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Western
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 393
- Sugar: 33.6g
- Sodium: 562.6mg
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 63.4mg
Keywords: Banana Caramel Muffins