A super simple blackened cod recipe. Just rub the cod fillets with blackened seasoning and pan fry until a delicious charred crust is formed.
Serves 2. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano (optional)
- 2 x cod fillets (note 1)
- Sea or kosher salt
- 2 tbsp groundnut or canola oil
- Mix the smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a separate bowl. You can also use the same quantity of readymade blackened seasoning.
- Dry the cod fillets with kitchen paper to remove any excess moisture.
- Sprinkle the cod fillets with salt on both sides.
- Then place each fillet into the blackened seasoning mixture. Turn over to ensure the fillets have an even covering of seasoning all both sides.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the cod fillets and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side. (notes 2, 3 & 4)
- Remove the fillets from the pan when they are done and serve immediately.
Air fryer method:
- Follow steps 1-6 above then air fry the seasoned cod fillets at 180 C or 350F for approximately 7 mins, turning halfway
- The recipe has been tested with 2 cod fillets with a combined weight of 250g or 9oz and 2cm or 1 inch deep
- Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the cod fillets
- Check the underside of the cod fillets are done before you turn it over. Cod is a flaky fish that can fall apart if handled too much.
- The cod fillets are done when both sides have formed a charred crust
- Category: Fish
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Western
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 1307.2mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 4.3g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Cholesterol: 58.7mg
Keywords: blackened cod