A quick, healthy and flavourful salad with sweet red grapes, salty blue cheese, crunchy toasted walnuts and apple.
- 200g / 1 cup + 2 tbsp pearled spelt
- 80g / 2/3 cup walnuts - roughly chopped
- 150g / 5oz blue cheese - chopped and crumbled
- 2 apples - cored and thinly sliced
- 150g / 5oz red grapes - cut into thirds
- 200g /70z mixed salad leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Cook the pearled spelt according to packet instructions and set aside to cool - do this in advance if you can so it has time to cool. (note 1)
- Place a small frying pan on a high heat and toast the walnuts until brown. Give them a stir after 2 minutes to ensure they are toasted evenly. (note 2)
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard and water (if needed) until combined. (note 3)
- Place all ingredients into a large salad bowl, pour the dressing on and toss until all ingredients and dressing are combined.
1. Pearled spelt normally takes around 10 minutes to cook but can take up to an hour to cool.
2. Walnuts will take less than 5 minutes to toast, keep an eye on them and don't let them burn!
3. If you are using a thick and gloopy balsamic vinegar it's likely you'll need to add 1 tbsp of water to get the dressing to a pourable consistency. If you're using a thinner/more watery balsamic add less or no water.
- Category: Main
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 615
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 855mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: blue cheese, apple, grape and walnut salad