A canned corn, black bean, avocado quinoa salad that is healthy, packed with flavour and on the table in just 30 minutes.
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tortilla wrap (optional) - cut into strips
- 1 400g (14 oz) can black beans
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250g (or 1.5 cups) drained canned corn (Note 1)
- 600g (or 21oz) cooked quinoa - (240g (or 8oz) uncooked quinoa)
- 1 avocado - chopped into 1cm/1/2 inch squares
- 200g (or 7oz) feta - crumbled
- 1 small red onion - finely chopped
- Additional jalapeno and coriander/cilantro to serve
- 15g (or 1 cup) coriander/cilantro
- 2 jalapeños
- 3 tbsp lime juice (approx 1.5 limes)
- 130g (or 1/2 cup) plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add one third of the olive oil. Add the tortilla strips when the oil is hot and toast for a few minutes, tossing to ensure they are toasted on both sides. Set aside when done.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the frying pan and add the black beans, smoked paprika, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and 2 thirds of the salt, and cook for a few minutes until the beans soften.
- Add the corn and cook for a few more minutes until hot and remove the pan from the heat.
- Make the dressing using a hand blender or food processor. Blend all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil until a smooth liquid is formed. Then pour on the olive oil and blend until incorporated.
- Put the cooked quinoa in a large bowl, add the black beans and corn, avocado, crumbled feta and red onion.
- Pour on the dressing, toss together, top with the toasted tortilla strips and top with additional (and optional) coriander/cilantro and jalapenos and serve.
- Equivalent to one 325g / 187 oz can. If you are using fresh or frozen corn, go by the drained weight and ensure the kernels are cooked by simmering in boiling water for a few minutes or cooking defrosting the frozen corn in the microwave.
- Category: Salad
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Canned corn black bean and avocado salad