Tender and juicy grilled chicken thighs with soft fried onions in a creamy yogurt-based lemony and turmeric sauce.
Serves 4. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
Marinade / sauce
- 4 lemons - juice (100ml or 1/2 cup)
- 400g (or 1.75 cups) Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 white onions - thinly sliced
- Rice or flatbread to serve
- Mix the marinade/sauce ingredients in a large bowl and add the chicken thighs. Leave them to marinate for at least two hours or overnight if possible.
- Turn on the grill and place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add the sliced onion and fry it with the lid on for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the marinade and place them on the grill pan and grill for a few minutes on each side until they start to brown. Remove them from the grill and set them aside. (note 1)
- When the onions are soft add the marinade/sauce, increase the heat and simmer for a few minutes until it reduces a little.
- Add the grilled chicken to the sauce and onions and serve immediately with rice or flatbread.
- You can check the chicken thighs are cooked by using a meat thermometer. They are done when they reach 75C or 165F. You can also take a large chicken thigh and cut it in half to check that the meat is white in the middle. If it's pink it will need to be cooked for a little longer.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 658
- Sugar: 20.2g
- Sodium: 703mg
- Fat: 37.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 27.7
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 50.5g
- Cholesterol: 140.8mg
Keywords: turmeric chicken thighs