Thin slices of super tender flank steak coated in a rich and deliciously sweet, spicy and umami sauce.
Serves 4. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 600g (or 21oz) flank or bavette steak
- 4 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger - finely chopped
- 2 birds eye or long red chillies - finely chopped
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
To serve (optional)
- 4 spring onions / scallions - sliced into 2cm or 1inch pieces
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- White rice
- Remove any excess moisture from the flank or bavette steaks with kitchen paper and cut into 1/4inch or 0.5cm pieces across the grain.
- Toss the sliced steak into the cornflour/cornstarch until evenly coated and shake off any excess cornflour/cornstarch. (note 1)
- Make the sauce by mixing together the brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and water in a bowl or jug.
- Set your instant pot to 'sauté' and add the oil or place a medium to large frying pan on a high heat if you would prefer to brown the beef on your stove. (note 2)
- When the oil is hot add the steak pieces and fry until browned on the outside. You might have to do this in two batches.
- Move the steak pieces to one side and add the garlic, ginger and chillies and fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Turn off 'sauté' mode, add the sauce, place the lid on and ensure that the valve is closed. Then set the Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When the time is up manually release immediately and serve with chopped spring onions/scallions, sesame seeds and rice.
- Place the pieces into a colander and shake over the sink to remove any excess cornflour/cornstarch.
- I often brown my meat on the stove instead of in the Instant Pot. It creates more washing up but provides a bigger surface area to fry the meat, gives me more control over temperature and saves time having to cook a large amount of meat in batches.
- Category: Meals
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 532.3mg
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 34.2g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: spicy instant pot Mongolian Beef