A quick and easy recipe for an Instant Pot Paella with chicken, chorizo, and shrimp.
Serves 2. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 1 tbsp oil (groundnut, sunflower, or canola)
- 1/2 onion - finely chopped
- 2 chicken thighs - fat trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 chorizo sausage - skins removed and cut into bite-sized pieces, approx. 50g or 2oz
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 150g (or 3/4 cup or 5oz) Spanish paella rice
- 50ml white wine (or 1/4 cup or 2fl oz) (optional)
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 300ml (or 1 +1/4 cups or 11 fl oz) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt or sea salt
- 100g (or 4oz) raw king prawns/shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lemon juice + extra to serve
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté mode or add some oil to a frying pan if you prefer to saute on the stovetop, add oil and fry the onion for a few minutes until it is translucent.
- Add the chorizo and chicken and sauté for a few more minutes until the chicken has browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the rice and sauté for a couple of minutes until the grains are hot to touch.
- Pour in the white wine if using and let it reduce for a few minutes. (note 1)
- Add the paprika, saffron threads, and balsamic vinegar, pour on the chicken stock and stir.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 4 mins and do a quick release when the cooking time is up.
- Add smoked or sea salt to taste. I normally add around half tsp when making the dish for 2)
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and stir in the shrimp/prawns and cook for a couple of minutes until they are opaque. (note 2)
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately.
- If you have sautéed on the stovetop you will need to transfer the contents of your frying pan to the Instant Pot at this point.
- There should be a little stock left to sauté the prawns/shrimp, but feel free to add a little more if necessary.
- Category: Rice
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 560
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 860.4mg
- Fat: 22.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 33.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 50.1g
- Cholesterol: 237.6mg
Keywords: instant pot paella