A quick and simple 15-minute recipe for grilled/broiled miso-glazed aubergine/eggplant.
Serves 2. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 2 aubergines/eggplant - washed
- 1 tbsp oil (groundnut or vegetable)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tbsp water
To serve (optional):
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions/scallions (finely chopped)
- Nori - cut into thin strips
- White rice
- Set your grill oven/broiler to its highest heat.
- Prepare the aubergines/eggplants. Cut off the stems, slice them into quarters vertically and score the inside of each slice in a diamond cross pattern. Be careful not to cut through the skin.
- Brush the inside of each slice with oil.
- Place the slices onto your grill pan/broil pan with the outsides facing upwards and brush them with oil too.
- Place the grill/broil pan in the middle of the grill/broiler and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until you see the skins begin to crease a little.
- Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and incorporated.
- Remove the aubergines/eggplant from the grill/broiler and turn over so the insides are facing up.
- Brush each piece with the miso sauce generously, ensuring that the sauce fills the gaps where the aubergine/eggplant has been scored.
- Return to the grill/broiler for 2-3 more minutes until the tops of the aubergines are brown.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds, green onions/scallions and nori strips. Serve immediately on white rice or alone as a side dish.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 25.6mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: miso glazed aubergine