How to pan-sear a ribeye steak to perfection in a matter of minutes with a few simple ingredients.
The quantities in this recipe are for 2x 200-250g (or 7-9oz) ribeye steaks. You may need to adjust the amount of seasoning for larger or smaller steaks.
- 2 ribeye steaks (note 1)
- 2 tsp oil - groundnut or vegetable oil (note 2)
- Smoked or sea salt flakes - approx. 0.75 tbsp per steak
- Ground black pepper - approx. just under 1/4 tsp per steak
- 2 tbsp room temperature butter
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Remove the steaks from the fridge 1 hour to 1.5 hours before cooking to allow them to reach room temperature.
- Set your frying pan to its highest heat.
- Rub each steak with oil and season generously with smoked salt and pepper on both sides. (note 3)
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of each steak.
- Use your finger or a meat thermometer to check if the steak is cooked to your liking. (note 4)
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the butter and the thyme to the pan and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, turning halfway. Use a spoon to baste the steaks with the melted thyme butter.
- Cover the steak with foil and rest for 10 minutes. (note 5)
- Approx. 250g (or 9oz) per person but steak sizes vary so you might need to adjust the seasoning for a larger or smaller steak.
- Do not use olive oil. It will burn with the high temperature required for cooking steak.
- Be generous here and don't worry too much about over seasoning. It may seem like a lot of salt but it will stay on the outside of the steak and most of it will come off during the cooking process. The exact amount of seasoning you need will depend on the size of the steak. Scroll up to see a photo of how the steak should look when seasoned.
- Scroll up for more details of how to do this
- If blood comes out when you cut into the steak it is not fully rested
Nutritional information is for one 230g ribeye steak.
- Category: Main
- Method: pan sear
- Cuisine: western
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 540
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 157mg
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated Fat: 28g
- Unsaturated Fat: 34g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 42g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: how to cook the perfect ribeye steak