A quick and easy Tuna Pasta Bake with rigatoni pasta tubes in a creamy tomato-based sauce finished with a delicious grilled cheese topping that is bound to have you coming back for seconds.
Serves 4 - use the scaling buttons below to double / triple the quantity
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- 400g (or 14oz) rigatoni pasta (note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 x medium-sized bell peppers - cut to. 1cm / 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 2 x 200g (or 8oz) cans of tuna - preferably in spring water (net weight 300g)
- 400ml (or 14fl oz) tomato passata
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml (or 3.5 fl oz or 1/2 cup) milk
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 2.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of veg of chicken stock powder
- 2 tsp Worcester sauce (optional)
- 1 200g (or 7oz) can of corn (or 165g ((or 6oz or 1 cup)) frozen corn (note 2)
- 100ml cream (or 3.5 fl oz or 1/2 cup) - light creme Fraiche, sour cream or single cream
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce - optional
- 120g (or 1.5 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- A handful of breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2 fresh jalapenos - thinly sliced (optional)
- Bring a large pan of generously salted water to boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions
- Meanwhile, set a large frying pan or dutch oven to a medium heat, add olive oil and fry the onion and peppers for approx. 5 minutes until soft and until the onion is translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Stir in the tuna and cook for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Mix in the tomato passata, tomato puree, milk, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, veg/chicken stock powder, optional Worcester sauce and corn and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook for a couple of minutes until warmed through and add Tabasco sauce if using
- Mix the sauce with the cooked pasta and spoon it into a baking dish
- Top with the grated cheddar cheese and optional breadcrumbs and jalapenos.
- Place the tuna bake under the grill until the cheese topping is molten and starts to brown. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- I like to use rigatoni because it's super yummy when the filling makes its way into the large pasta tubes. Fusili, penne and conchiglie (pasta shells) are also good options.
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Western
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 757
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 535mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 100g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Keywords: creamy, tuna pasta bake