A quick and easy Vegetarian Burrito Bowl recipe with brown rice, coriander/cilantro, smoky refried black beans, zingy corn salsa, and creamy guacamole.
Serves 4. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 1/2 tbsp oil (groundnut or vegetable)
- 500g (or 18oz) cooked brown rice (note 1)
- 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 lime - juice
- 1/2 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 400g (or 14oz) can of black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt - no more than 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 240g (or 2 cups) corn - defrosted frozen corn or canned
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro
- 4 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea or kosher salt - approx. 1/4 tsp
- 1 lime - juice
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1.5 limes juice + zest of half a lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
To serve (optional):
- 2 cups lettuce - chopped into strips
- Grated cheese (cheddar or similar hard cheese)
- Sour cream
- Jalapenos - fresh or jarred
- Tabasco sauce
- Prepare the rice. Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add the oil. Add the brown rice when the oil is hot and stir in the coriander/cilantro, salt, and lime juice and set aside.
- Fry the black beans. Add a little more oil to the frying pan and add the black beans, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and white wine vinegar and fry on a medium heat for 10 minutes until the beans soften.
- Prepare the corn salsa - meanwhile prepare the corn salsa by mixing together the corn and salsa ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Make the guacamole. Scoop out the avocado flesh, remove the stone and carefully cut out any brown or black parts if necessary.
- Add the remaining guacamole ingredients, mash thoroughly and mix together.
- At this point the beans should be soft. Take them off the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Assemble the burrito bowls. Spoon a portion of rice into each bowl and divide the beans, corn salsa and guacamole between the bowls.
- Add lettuce, grated cheese, sour cream, jalapenos and Tabasco sauce as desired.
- Use pre-cooked microwaveable rice for convenience or boil up some dried brown rice (this normally takes 20-25 minutes). If you salt the water when cooking dried rice you might not need to add additional salt. Taste it to see.
Nutritional info is for 1 serving and does not include toppings.
- Category: Meals
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Sodium: 1545.7
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 82.2g
- Fiber: 16.3g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegetarian burrito bowl