A tasty Vietnamese style noodle soup with rice noodles, peppers and king prawns in a warm spiced savoury broth.
Serves 2, use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantities.
- 650 ml (or 2.75 cups) high-quality chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 1 bird's eye chilli or 2 normal long red chillies - finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp ginger - finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fine sea or kosher salt - for cooking the noodles
- 2 portions of rice noodles (approx 100g or 3.5 oz)
- 1 lime - juice
- 2 medium red peppers - cut into strips
- 200g (or 7oz) raw king prawns - butterflied and deveined (note 1)
- 1 handful of chopped coriander to serve
- Place a saucepan on a medium heat and pour in the chicken stock and add the garlic, bird's eye chilli, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, peppercorns, star anise, cloves and the cinnamon stick and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of generously salted water to boil and cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Rinse them under cold water when they are cooked to prevent them from sticking together and set aside.
- Strain the soup through a sieve and return the fragrant broth to the stove. (note 2)
- Add the lime juice and the chopped peppers and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add the prawns and simmer for a further 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. (note 3)
- Assemble the Pho by dividing the noodles between the bowls and then adding the broth with the peppers and prawns.
- Top with fresh coriander and enjoy.
- You can also use pre-cooked king prawns. Scroll up for more detail on how-to butterfly raw king prawns.
- You can strain the soup into the pan you used to cook the noodles to save on washing up. Just make sure you wipe it clean first and remove any remaining noodles that might be lingering.
- Prawns are cooked when their flesh is pink and opaque
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 1,718mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: prawn pho recipe