A quick and easy recipe for savoury filled French Buckwheat Galettes Bretonne.
This recipe will yield at least 6 galettes. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the recipe.
- 200g (or 1 + 2/3 cup or 7oz) buckwheat flour
- 300ml milk (or 1 +1/3 cup or 11fl oz)
- 300ml water (or 1 +1/3 cup or 11fl oz)
- 1 egg - beaten
- 1/4 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter + additional for greasing the pan
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 6 eggs - 1 egg per galette
- 60g (or 3 cups) spinach - 10g or 1/2 cup per galette
- 140g (or 1 1/2 cups) grated Gruyere or other hard cheese - 20g or 1/4 cup per galette
- Pinch sea or kosher salt per galette
- Pinch of ground nutmeg per galette (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Combine all the galette ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the batter is smooth
- Place the galette batter in the fridge for at least one hour. (note 1)
- Place a frying pan or galette pan on a medium to high heat and add no more than 1tsp of butter to grease the pan.
- When the pan is hot add a ladleful of the galette mixture and spread evenly over the pan. (note 2)
- When the galette starts to set crack the egg onto the batter and adjust the position of the egg so it sits in the centre if necessary.
- Add the spinach and cheese so they surround the egg.
- Leave the galette to cook on a medium to high heat until the egg starts to set.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt to the egg yolk and season the galette filling with ground nutmeg and ground black pepper.
- Increase the heat to crisp up the galette and cook on a high heat for a few minutes until you see the sides start to brown. Lift up the sides to check they are done.
- When the galette is crisp fold the sides into the middle and serve. The folds should be no more than 2 inches so the egg is visible
- Repeat steps 4-10 with the rest of the galette batter
- If you are able to rest the batter for longer than one hour do. It will only improve the taste and consistency of the galettes.
- Be careful not to add too much batter to the pan at this point. There should be just enough batter to cover the surface of the pan. The thinner the galette, the tastier.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 369mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: French buckwheat pancake