Perfectly moist chocolate fondant cakes with rich molten centres. A quick, easy and decadent dessert that is perfect for a romantic night in.
- 1 -2 tsp cocoa powder - for dusting the inside of the pudding moulds
- 65g (or 1/4 cup) - unsalted butter + a little extra for greasing
- 85g (or 6oz) chocolate - either dark or half milk and half dark depending on your preference
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 30g (or 1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 15g (or 1/8 cup) plain flour
- Pinch of sea or kosher salt
- Soft centred chocolates of choice
- Ice cream
- Fresh berries
- Heat the oven to 220°C or 430°F
- Grease the pudding moulds and dust with cocoa powder (note 1)
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave or place them in a pyrex bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water (note 2)
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in one bowl and mix the sugar, flour and salt in another.
- When the butter and chocolate have melted add the vanilla essence.
- Mix in the eggs and incorporate the dry ingredients. Continue to mix until smooth. (note 3)
- Spoon into the molds, ramekins or a muffin tray.
- Optional: Place your soft-centred chocolate or sauce of choice into the pudding moulds so the cake batter covers it.
- Bake the cakes in the middle of the oven for approx. 8 minutes (note 4)
- Loosen the sides with a flat knife and turn upside down over a plate or bowl. (notes 5)
- Serve with cream, ice cream and/or fresh fruit
- Place the pudding mold in the sink and use a sieve to dust with cocoa powder
- Fill a saucepan with a small amount of water, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and place the pyrex bowl containing the chocolate and butter on top until they are fully melted.
- You can mix by hand or use an electric mixer. I normally mix by hand because it is very quick and not worth the additional washing up.
- Check they are done by seeing if the top is set and slotting a knife down the sides to check they are firm
- If you find that it's hard to pick up the hot (and often slippery) pudding mould with oven gloves, I recommend using kitchen tongs for this step.
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Western
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 50g
- Saturated Fat: 25g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 200mg
Keywords: chocolate fondant