Crispy fried chicken coated in a delicious sweet, sticky and spicy sauce topped with crispy spring onions and sesame seeds.
Serves 2-3. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs - cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice or apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp honey
- 80ml (or 1/3 cup) water
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1tbsp water
- 150g (or 5oz) dry rice or 1 packet of pre-cooked microwaveable rice (note 1)
- 3 tbsp oil - groundnut or vegetable
- 1 birds eye chilli - finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 2 tsp ginger - finely chopped
- 2 spring onions - finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Coat the chicken pieces in cornflour. Put the cornflour in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces and mix until they are evenly coated in cornflour.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl or jug and set aside.
- Make the slurry. Mix the cornflour with the water in another small bowl or a jug and set aside.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. (note 2)
- Fry the chicken. Place a frying pan on a high heat and add two-thirds of the oil. When the oil is hot shake any excess cornflour off the chicken pieces, add them to the pan and fry until they are brown and cooked through. You may have to do this in two batches and add more oil if needed. When the chicken is cooked place it in a bowl and set aside. (note 3)
- Wipe the frying pan clean, place it on a medium heat, add the remaining oil and fry the chilli garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce and increase the heat. Add the slurry when it starts to simmer and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir until it is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Serve immediately on rice and top with the chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
- This is based on a portion size of 75g rice per person. You may wish to adjust this according to the number of people you are planning to serve. For example, if you are serving 3 people you might wish to increase the amount of rice to 225g.
- It normally takes around 10 minutes to cook white rice on the stove.
- Check the chicken is cooked by taking the largest piece and cutting it in half. If the inside is white it's done, but if it's still pink it needs to cook for longer.
- Category: main
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 710
- Sugar: 25.6g
- Sodium: 639.9mg
- Fat: 24.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 78.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 45.4g
- Cholesterol: 186.7mg
Keywords: spicy sesame chicken