A healthy and flavourful soup made from broccoli and frozen peas that you can throw together in just 30 minutes. Parmesan, smoked paprika, pepper, lemon juice, and the optional crispy pancetta topping ensure that this soup is as delicious as it is nutritious. What's more, if you're a make-ahead type, then this one is for you. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The post contains additional information and helpful tips to ensure the recipe turns out great the first time. Please use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end if you are in a hurry!
✅ 6 reasons why you'll love this soup recipe:
- Ready in 30 minutes - peas and broccoli just require a short simmer before they're ready for the blender.
- Super Tasty - Parmesan, smoked paprika, pepper and lemon juice are added to ensure the soup is full of flavour. There's also an optional fried pancetta topping to add to the yummy umami-ness.
- Healthy - a bowl of this soup is sure to give your body all the green-veggie vitamins and nutrients it requires.
- An excellent make ahead meal - it keeps in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Everyday ingredients - you'll find everything you need to make this soup in your local store. You're also likely to have many of the ingredients at home already.
- Reduces waste - if you're looking for a way to use up leftover broccoli or have an excess of frozen peas, this soup is the perfect solution. You can use the broccoli stalks as well as florets.
🛒 Ingredients and variations:
This tasty soup is made from simple everyday ingredients. You are likely to have most of them in your store cupboard already.
- Broccoli - you can use stalks as well as florets in this soup. A great way to use up leftover broccoli and reduce food waste
- Peas - these can be fresh or frozen garden peas or petit pois.
- Parmesan - adds creaminess and umami flavour to the soup. You could use another hard cheese like cheddar instead.
- White pepper - adds an earthiness. You can omit it if you need to and add a little more black pepper to taste.
- Smoked salt - adds a little smokiness alongside the paprika. You can use a little sea or kosher salt instead.
- Pancetta - you can switch this for bacon, sausage or nuts/seeds if you would prefer not to have meat.
🧑🍳 Broccoli and pea soup in 4 simple steps
1. Sauté and simmer
Place a frying pan on a medium heat and add the oil. Add the onions when the pan is hot and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute. Pour in the veg stock, add the broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the peas and simmer for five more minutes.
Blitz the soup until smooth with a standing or hand blender.
Stir in the Parmesan, lemon juice, smoked paprika, white pepper, black pepper and salt.
4. Serve with fried pancetta pieces
Place a frying pan on a medium to high heat, add the pancetta and fry for a couple of minutes until brown. Serve the soup immediately, topped with pancetta pieces, or leave it to cool and store in the fridge or freezer for later.
They are both equally nutritious and great for adding vitamin C, fibre and antioxidants to your diet.
You can and it's quicker and easier than using a standing blender and saves on washing up.
Homemade soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Leave it to cool, then add your desired portion sizes to airtight containers or freezer bags and place in the freezer. Defrost the soup in the fridge before you reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
This soup is the perfect candidate for a make-ahead meal and will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just portion it into airtight containers or freezer bags and leave it to cool before you place it in the fridge or freezer.
Top tip: do not add pancetta if you are planning to refrigerate or freeze the soup and eat it later. It tastes much better fresh, so it's best to add it when you come to eat it.
😋 Check out my other soup recipes
Soups are warming, nutritious and are often great make-ahead meals. If you enjoyed this recipe you should check out my other tasty soup recipes.
Did you try this recipe? It would be really great if you could leave a comment and a star rating ⭐️. I would love to receive your feedback and know that other readers find it helpful too.
Don't forget to tag #knifeandsoulrecipes on Instagram or @knifeandsoul on Pinterest!