A warming, hearty bowl of creamy Alfredo soup, with tender shredded chicken, umami mushrooms, nourishing spinach and your favourite variety of store-bought tortellini.
Serves 4. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 60g (or 5 tbsp) butter
- 200g (or 3.5 cups) mushrooms - thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves - crushed
- 16g (or 2 tbsp) flour
- 200ml (or 2/3 cup) single cream
- 800ml (or 3.5 cup) chicken stock + more if needed
- 40g (or 1.2 cup) Parmesan - grated
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper + extra for serving
- 250g (or 9oz) tortellini
- 160g (or 6oz) spinach
- 250g (or 1 x cup) cooked chicken - shredded (approx 2 legs)
- Place a pan on a high heat and add one-fifth of the butter. Add the mushrooms when the butter starts to sizzle and cook for a few minutes until they begin to brown and set aside.
- Reduce the pan to a low/medium heat and add the rest of the butter. Add the crushed garlic when the butter begins to sizzle and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour to form a thick paste and pour in the chicken stock gradually, stirring continuously to get rid of any lumps.
- Stir in the Cream, Parmesan, nutmeg and pepper.
- Increase the heat until the soup starts to simmer and add the tortellini and spinach. (Note 1 & 2)
- Stir in the cooked chicken and mushrooms and serve immediately.
- You should have enough liquid to cook the tortellini. However, if you are using a wide pan you might not and it's best to cook the tortellini separately, so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Add a little extra stock to the soup if you find there isn't enough liquid after you have cooked the tortellini and spinach.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Easy chicken Alfredo tortellini soup (with mushrooms & spinach)