Are you a fan of Mexican food? If tacos, burritos and chilli are your thing you will love Mexican Style Corn Soup. Just follow a few simple steps and enjoy a bowl of thick and creamy corn soup seasoned with smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and lime juice to give it a Mexican twist. Toppings add a whole new dimension of texture and flavour to the soup, be sure to add roasted corn, coriander and cheese as well as jalapeños if you can handle a little more heat.
This soup was inspired by a corn soup recipe I found in a soup cookbook that I bought when my husband had his wisdom teeth removed. The original recipe was for a corn and fennel soup. It was pleasant but nothing to write home about, but I loved how convenient and quick this corn soup was to make. Corn doesn't have to be boiled or roasted for an extended period before it goes in the blender so the total cooking time is significantly shorter than a lot of other soups.
It only takes 30 minutes to get this soup on the table so is perfect is you're in a hurry. If you're someone who always has a bag of frozen corn in the fridge this is a dish you can make spontaneously. It's likely you'll have most of the ingredients on hand and if not you'll find some can be substituted.
Key ingredients & possible alternatives:
- Corn - frozen or tinned are both fine for the soup. If you're using frozen corn for the roasted corn topping make sure it's fully defrosted first and that you remove as much of the moisture as possible before it goes in the oven.
- Sour cream - single cream is a good alternative and you could also use a small amount of double cream.
- Vegetable stock - homemade, readymade or cubed all are all fine. I always have Bouillon powder on hand so mostly use that.
- Lime juice - added at the end to bring a subtle tanginess to the soup that contrasts the sweetness of the corn
- Seasoning - Mexican style flavours are brought to the corn soup with smoked paprika, cumin and a very small amount of cayenne pepper.
Other additions to try:
- Add meat - my recipe is vegetarian. I've not tried adding chicken or chorizo sausage to the soup yet, but I'm sure they would be yummy. I tend to eat this soup for lunch, but the addition of meat would certainly justify a dinner.
- Tortilla chips - break into small pieces and add as a topping or serve them as a side and dip them in the soup.
- Bread - I often serve my corn soup with a couple of slices of toasted sourdough.
How to make Mexican Style Corn Soup:
Grab a few key ingredients and follow some simple steps and your sunny bowls of Mexican delicious-ness will be ready to eat in 30 minutes.
1. Roast the corn:
Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place ¾ cup of corn to a roasting dish, remove any moisture with kitchen paper, and bake on a high shelf in the oven for 10-15 minutes
2. Fry the onions and garlic
Meanwhile, fry the onions in oil on a medium/low heat until soft. Then add garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper.
3. Add corn and stock
Add corn and vegetable stock to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
Puree using a countertop or hand blender.
5. Add cream and lime juice
Add the pureed soup back to the pan and add sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper.
6. Serve the Mexican Style Corn Soup with toppings
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with roasted corn. Additional toppings take the textures and flavours of the soup to a new level. I highly recommend adding some or all of the following.
- Cheese - adds cool saltiness to the soup that contrasts the sweetness of the corn
- Fresh jalapeños - add heat and crunchiness. Avoid if you are sensitive to spice.
- Chopped coriander - brings a bittersweet taste that complements a lot of the flavours in the soup. It will also calm the heat of the jalapeños.
Is Mexican style corn soup spicy?
No, but the cayenne pepper does give it some heat. Omit it if you are sensitive to spice. If you're after a hotter soup add more cayenne and top with fresh jalapeños.
How long does Mexican style corn soup keep for?
You can refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days and freeze for up to 3 months. It's ideal for batch cooking and meal prep.Print