What's not to love about BBQ Pulled Jackfruit & Quinoa Tacos? They're quick, healthy and a delight to devour. Shredded jackfruit is simmered in a home-made BBQ sauce and incorporated with cooked quinoa to guarantee full bellies and satisfied smiles all around.
If you're strapped for time this recipe is for you. Just follow a few simple steps and you'll be munching on smoky and succulent BBQ pulled jackfruit in 30 minutes. The taco filling will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days so is perfect for meal prepping. I also recommend making a large batch and freezing a few portions. Then you could have dinner ready in 5 minutes - a big win on busy days!
These tacos are a definite crowd-pleaser. With all the smokey BBQ flavours and meaty texture of pulled pork they're sure to be adored by vegans, vegetarians and meat lovers. Make sure there are toppings on hand to bring your tacos to the next level. I always serve mine with homemade guacamole (with no tomatoes), grated cheese, sour cream and jalapeños.
How to make BBQ Pulled Jackfruit & Quinoa Tacos:
- Quinoa: I always choose red and white quinoa because it has more texture and bite to it than white quinoa. The taco filling recipe will also work with white quinoa, so choose the one you prefer.
- Jackfruit: Tinned young green jackfruit is my go-to and tends to be the way most jackfruit is packaged and sold. If you have to use jackfruit in brine be sure to rinse it thoroughly first.
- Taco shells/wraps: these are a matter of personal preference. I mostly opt for soft taco wraps but crunchy taco shells are good too.
1. Cook the quinoa
Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions. This usually takes around 20 minutes. When the quinoa is ready the germs will start to separate from the seeds.
2. Shred the jackfruit:
Drain the jackfruit and shred with your fingers. Don't discard the seeds, they are perfectly edible.
At this point it's likely you'll look at the jackfruit and wonder how such an ugly fruit can taste good. Press on, I promise it will look a lot better when combined with the BBQ sauce and it will taste great too.
3. Make the BBQ Sauce
Place a frying pan on a medium heat, add oil and gently fry the jackfruit for a few minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further minute before adding the remaining BBQ sauce ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes and stir in the cooked quinoa until warmed through. Transfer the BBQ jackfruit mix to a bowl and serve with warm tortillas and your choice of toppings.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Taco Toppings:
The BBQ jackfruit taco filling is bursting with smoky, sweet and tangy flavours. It's certainly yummy alone, but I still urge you not to skip the toppings. You don't want to miss the array of contrasting flavours and textures they bring to the tacos. Add some or all of the following to take your tacos to the next level.
- Guacamole - check out my Quick and Easy Guacamole Recipe. It takes less than 10 minutes to throw it together and brings a cool buttery freshness that contrasts the heat and smokiness of the BBQ sauce.
- Grated cheddar or similar hard cheese - this brings saltiness. I always opt for mature cheddar over mild.
- Sour cream - the coolness contrasts the heat of the BBQ sauce
- Jalapeños - add fresh or pickled jalapeños to bring more heat to the tacos. I opt for fresh because I like the crunchy texture they throw into the mix.
2 shortcuts for super speedy BBQ Pulled Jackfruit & Quinoa Tacos:
You can get BBQ jackfruit tacos on the table in 30 minutes, but if you're really strapped for time there are two things you can do to speed up the process:
- Use pre-made BBQ sauce - half a cup will be sufficient
- Use ready-made quinoa - skip the process of cooking the quinoa by adding 1 cup (or 180g) of pre-cooked quinoa instead.
How long do BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Quinoa Tacos keep?
Store the BBQ jackfruit taco filling in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months. The recipe is one you can batch cook and have on hand for hectic days that leave you with no time for cooking.Print