If you are lucky enough to own an Instant Pot and you have a chicken carcass on your hands, this Instant Pot chicken Stock is a no brainer. It's so easy to make, just add onion, garlic, ginger and a carrot to your pot, cover with water and leave the Instant Pot to do the hard work.
This Instant Pot Chicken Stock is rich and flavourful and put an end to shop-bought stock in our household. It's a simple and versatile stock that is perfect for soups, chicken gravy, risottos and more. Instant Pot Chicken Stock can be frozen for up to 3 months. I always make it when we have roast chicken and like to have a batch on hand in my freezer at all times.
3 reasons to make Instant Pot Chicken Stock:
- Flavourful - it's much richer and tastier than store bought stock - try it and you'll be sworn off shop bought stock forever more.
- Super cheap - the ingredients for this cost pennies and you had the chicken carcass anyway. What else would you do with the bones?
- Reduces waste - it just feels really good to roast a chicken, eat it and then make stock from the bones. That chicken lived to be eaten - it would be rude not to enjoy it all.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Stock - full recipe below:
1. Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot:
Add all ingredients to your Instant Pot and add enough water to cover them. Make sure you remove everything from the cavity of the chicken carcass first. Cook for 45 minutes at high pressure and let the pot naturally release for 30 minutes. Ensure the valve is set to 'sealing' before you start cooking.
Pour the finished stock into another container through a colander. Discard the other ingredients and leave the stock to cool.
3. Cool & store
Leave the cooked stock to cool, when it reaches room temperature pour it into airtight containers to refrigerate or freeze of you are not going to use it straight away.
3 Top Tips:
- Remove everything from the cavity before you start - if you roasted the chicken yourself it's likely to have things in the cavity that will add flavour to the stock. This isn's always a bad thing but do ensure you remove any lemons as they will add an unpleasant bitter flavour to the stock.
- Freeze the carcass for later - if you want to make stock, but don't have time today you can freeze the carcass for up to 3 months and make it later. Make sure you fully defrost it first.
- Freeze the stock in the right quantities - before you freeze the stock think about what you want to use it for so you can freeze it in the right quantities. For example if you are planning on using it to make a noodle soup you'll need a larger quantity than you would if you were planing to use it to make chicken gravy.
What can I use the stock for?
- Soups - this stock is perfect for making chicken noodle soups like Easy Weeknight Ramen
- Chicken Gravy
How long can I store Instant Pot Chicken Stock?
The stock will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months.Print