A thick and creamy corn soup with a Mexican twist.
Serves 4. Use the scaling buttons below to double or triple the quantity.
- 100g (or 3/4 cup) defrosted frozen corn
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 white onion - finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 600ml (or 2 1/2 cups) vegetable stock
- 650g (or 23 oz) frozen corn
- 1 lime - juice
- 60ml (or 1/4 cup) sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Grated cheddar or similar hard cheese
Roasted Corn Topping:
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Gently remove all moisture from the corn with some kitchen paper and add it to a baking tray
- Add olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix until the seasoning is evenly distributed
- Place on a high shelf in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Turn the corn with a spoon half way.
- When the corn starts to turn brown remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place your pan on a medium heat, add oil and gently fry the onions until soft
- Add the paprika, cumin, cayenne and garlic and fry for a further two minutes
- Pour in the vegetable stock, add the corn and simmer on a low/medium heat for 10 minutes
- Puree the soup with a countertop or hand blender
- Pour back into the pan and add the cream, lime juice, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary or add more a little water if the soup is too thick.
- Ladle into bowls, add roast corn and other toppings.
Nutritional information is for 1 bowl of soup without toppings.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 387mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 5g
Keywords: Mexican Style Corn Soup