Perfectly crispy and insanely tasty panko chicken in just 20 minutes.
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup of plain or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 120g (or 1 cup) of panko breadcrumbs
- 150ml (or ⅔ cup) (approx) Vegetable oil. To fill a frying pan with 0.5cm or ¼ inch.
- Lemon wedges (to serve)
- Prepare the chicken breasts. Remove any fat and tenderise them by pounding them with a meat tenderiser. (Note 1)
- Mix the flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper and salt in a bowl.
- Crack the egg into another bowl and beat.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Place each chicken breast into the flour until coated, then dunk them in the beaten egg and finally place them in the panko breadcrumbs until they are covered.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat and fill with 0.5cm or ¼ inch of vegetable oil. Add one breadcrumb to check the oil is hot. If it sizzles and quickly burns up you are good to go, but it sinks you need to wait a little longer for the oil to become hot.
- Place the panko-coated chicken breasts into the pan and fry for 1.5 to 2 minutes on each side. (note 2)
- Place the chicken breasts onto a board and allow them to rest for a few minutes. (note 3)
- Slice and serve immediately with lemon wedges and your desired sides.
- If you do not have a meat tenderiser you can use a rolling pin instead. Put the chicken into a plastic bag first to avoid contamination.
- You might need to fry the chicken in batches depending on the size of your pan and you may also need to top up the oil as you go.
- If you have followed the directions the chicken should be cooked. If you want to check the doneness cut into one piece with a sharp knife to check the meat is white. If it is red it is not done and will need to go back into the pan. You can also use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. Cooked chicken should be 165F or 75C.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: panko chicken